NEBridge - B's Needs: Mansfield 2013

Minutes from the Master's Regional in Mansfield
Regional Action Items

Club-Level Action Items
B's Needs Committee Roster

 

B's Needs Committee Meeting Notes

Mansfield: Saturday November 9th 2013, 8:30-9:30 AM

 

Attendees:

 

Meeting Facilitator – Ausra Geaski

District Secretary - Carolyn Weiser

 

EMBA Representatives:    Bob Bertoni

NHBA Representatives:   Bob Eachus

CBA - Joyce Stiefel

            Mike Wavada

WMBA - Bob Derrah

 

Ausra Geaski kicked off the meeting by thanking everyone for attending the meeting. She noted that Mark Aquino, the Chairperson for this Committee, was not able to attend and she would be facilitating the meeting.

Looking back at the previous minutes it was apparent that this group over the past year has identified many action items and initiated many activities in support of the goals of the group. As a tracking tool for all of the action items Ausra submitted a spreadsheet to the group for review. This included a list of action items discussed in previous meetings.

The group reviewed the list and provided feedback on some additional action items to include and reviewed activities in progress for these efforts. The group agreed that the list would be helpful to continue to capture suggestions and track progress.

The attached spreadsheet includes the feedback from the group and is submitted as part of the minutes.

Although the group was small in attendance the participants provided many good suggestions and comments which will assist the group in future meetings. Ausra again thanked the group for their participation and helpful input.

Respectfully submitted,

Ausra Geaski
D25 President


Regional Action Items:

Category Action Item Who Follow-up
Publicity Organize meetings with club owners and directors to develop ideas and action plans to encourage attendance at regionals B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee Lois DeBlois and Cathie Sellar met with club owners and directors in RIBA Unit 145 to develop ideas and action plans around how they can help get their players to attend D25 regionals. See their write-up on the D25 website.
Contact club managers in D25 before each regional to announce the upcoming tournament D25 Secretary / B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives Carolyn Weiser contacted clubs to request they announce upcoming regionals. B's needs members have made announcements at their club games.
Distribute flyers to each club prior to each regional and display in central location (bulletin board, community table) BOD Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee / Tournament Manager Helen Pawlowski provides flyers for distribution to BOD members and Unit representatives at EC meetings to distribute to clubs in their Units.
Distribute flyers to other nearby districts BOD Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee / Tournament Manager Helen Pawlowski has brought flyers to other district regionals. Unit reps should bring flyers to other districts close to D25 whenever they play in those regionals / sectionals / clubs. Need to review list for potential wider distribution.
Send out reminders to players about upcoming regionals via e-mail distribution Tournament Manager /  ACBL Tournament Manager needs to follow up with ACBL to ensure reminders are being sent.
Create list of I/N players and send out note with reminders about upcoming regionals via e-mail distribution B's Needs Committee Members / I/N Coordinator Need to follow up at B's Needs meeting of how to implement.
Education Provide bridge lessons between sessions at regionals Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager Lessons have been conducted for I/N players between sessions. Need to follow up if this is still being done.
Encourage kibitzing B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee Need to suggest to players.
Invite professional guest speakers to D25 regionals Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Executive Committee This has been done in the past, i.e. Mike Lawrence in South Portland. Need to bring to Tournament Committee to discuss feasibility.
Zero Tolerance Remind players of Zero Tolerance Policy at the regionals Directors Directors are announcing before each event.
Post Zero Tolerance Policy at regionals Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager  Posted in Daily Bulletin. Could, also, post signs in playing areas as done at the Nationals. Need to bring to Tournament Committee.
Post Bridge Etiquette guidelines at regionals Tournament Committee / Executive Committee / Tournament Manager / Bulletin Editor Compile bridge etiquette guidelines. Post in Daily Bulletin and display in playing areas. Need to bring to Tournament Committee.
Report infractions of Zero Tolerance Policy Players Directors are reminding players at each event and it is explained in the Daily Bulletin.
Enforce Zero Tolerance Policy at the regionals Directors / District Recorder / Code & Ethics Committee Directors will enforce during events. Players will be reminded of their options to refer to District Recorder. District Recorder will investigate and refer to C&E Committee as warranted.
Event Schedule Add different events to tournament schedule for variety (one session events not part of main 10 and 2:30 events) Scheduling Committee / Executive Committee / Tournament Manager Need to bring suggestions to Scheduling Committee.
Hold Pro-Am games (match up more experienced with novice players, consider reduced entry fee, hold during evening pairs so it doesn't impact main events), '8 is enough' events Scheduling Committee / Tournament Manager / Executive Committee Need to bring recommendation to Scheduling Committee.
Engage B's Needs Committee for scheduling decisions affecting B players Scheduling Committee / B's Need Committee Members Need to bring recommendation to Scheduling Committee.
Hospitality Increase hospitality at the regionals Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Executive Committee Added morning hospitality for coffee and some type of pastry/bagels. Need to consider other opportunities and bring to Tournament Committee.
Other Provide opportunity for more Social events at the regionals which allow players to mingle Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Executive Committee Set up opportunities for players to interact more outside of the game, e.g. 'social hour' between sessions with a free lunch, 'social hour' after 2:30 game with some munchies. Need to bring recommendations to Tournament Committee.
Take photographs of winners and post prominently at regionals Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Executive Committee Need to bring recommendation to Tournament Committee. This has been discussed in the past and need to have a volunteer(s) willing to do this.
Provide name tags for B's needs members to recognize their efforts and for players to talk to and provide their comments. Executive Committee Need approval from Executive Committee to obtain name tags. Publicize in Daily Bulletin that those wearing the name tags are looking for suggestions for any improvements to D25 regionals.
Continue to post the Leader Board. Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Directors Players liked having the Leader Board and would recommend we continue to display it. Also, add list of MP Leaders daily for the tournament in Daily Bulletin and on website.
Provide a suggestion box at regionals for players to make recommendations; publicize in Daily Bulletin Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Bulletin Editor Need to suggest to Tournament Committee.
Regional Chairpersons should greet players upon arrival; provide small welcome gift, e.g. stickers  Tournament Committee / Tournament Manager / Regional Chairperson(s) Need to suggest to Tournament Committee.
Survey players who no longer come to the regionals to find out why BOD Members  Peter Marcus provided a larger amount of data about past attendance. Bob Bertoni offered to set up an Access database to allow queries of the data and discuss further action. Allan Clamage did some analysis of players by regional and identified players who attended a specific regional in 2012 but not in 2013. The list of players was sent out to the Unit presidents by Carolyn Weiser. Each Unit is responsible for surveying their players and providing feedback to Allan who will compile the results and report findings. 
       

 


Club-Level Action Items:

Category Action Item Who Follow-up
Publicity Announce upcoming regionals at the club games B's needs members and Unit reps should follow up with their club manager / directors to ensure regionals are being announced at their club games. Joyce Stiefel sends a personal email before each sectional and regional to club managers and CBA board members asking them to announce the upcoming tournament.
Encourage novice players to attend regionals B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee / BOD Members B's needs members, Unit reps and BOD members should reach out to novice players in their clubs to encourage them to play in regional events. Club Managers have received free entries to give out to new players for a regional event which should be communicated to novices.
Ensure that flyers for novice events contain all of the information, i.e. location Tournament Manager Need to proofread all flyers to ensure they have all required information listed correctly.
  B's needs members, Unit reps and BOD members should reach out to players in their clubs to encourage them to play in regional events. Wayne Hersey frequently makes calls to players who have stopped attending club games and sectionals in VT and found this is the most productive way to get players back. Need to discuss how to do for regional tournaments.
Distribute bridge and club information at various locations (Senior Citizen's Centers, Community Centers, Doctor's offices, etc.) B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee / BOD Members Joyce Stiefel has been doing this in CT and Bob Derrah in Western MA.
Introduce a Bridge Awareness Week at the clubs TBD Cecilla Borras suggested this activity which could start at the club level then roll out across Units and perhaps later  coordinate simultaneously across all Units in the district. This is an initiative to discuss further at the B's Needs meetings.
Education Set up a Mentor Program at the clubs Club Managers This has been done successfully in some clubs and Units, i.e. Hartford Bridge Club, EMBA. Need to discuss at B's Need meetings of how to promote this across all Units.
Conduct bridge lessons on all levels at the clubs (new players, novice, intermediate) TBD Hartford Bridge Club in CBA provides bridge lessons at various levels. The program for players who are new to bridge has been very successful.
Conduct bridge lessons outside the clubs (Senior Centers, Adult Education, local schools, universities, Boys and Girls Clubs) B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representative to Executive Committee / BOD Members Bob Derrah indicated WMBA conducted classes in middle school. CBA has tried bridge lessons at the college level and middle school level. Adam Parrish and Jim Rasmussen have headed up a New England Youth Bridge (NEYB) program.
Conduct bridge lessons on local cable TV B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representative to Executive Committee / Club Managers Hartford Bridge Club in CBA did a sessions a few years ago on their local public TV channel. 
Invite guest speakers to club to do a talk on specific bridge topic(s) Club Managers This has been done by various clubs successfully. Speakers can be bridge Pros or someone local who can share their expertise on a specific topic.
Transportation Help to set up car pools for players who want to come to Regionals B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee Bob Eachus noted that they are trying to arrange rides and partnerships for their club players for the Nashua regional.
Other Conduct '8 is enough' events at clubs Club Managers This has been held successfully by several clubs.
Hold Pro-Am games (match up more experienced with novice players) Club Managers EMBA has held this event at their sectionals, as well, as other Units at the club level.
Ask bridge teachers at the clubs to bring their students to some regional event B's Needs Committee Members / Unit Representatives to Executive Committee This has been done occasionally by some bridge teachers and provided a more comfortable approach for new players to enter the larger events at regionals. B's Need s Committee should discuss how to promote this and present to Tournament Committee, e.g. get list of bridge teachers and contact personally or through email distribution.

 


Roster:

Unit Member Name
Chairperson / Facilitator Mark Aquino
D25 President Ausra Geaski
District Secretary Carolyn Weiser
Tournament Manager Helen Pawlowski
CBA Joyce Stiefel
Bill Watson
Mike Wavada
CMBA Steve Diamond
Jeanne Robillard
EMBA Bob Bertoni
Cecilla Borras
NHBA Bob Eachus
Sarah Widhu
RIBA Lois DeBlois
Cathie Sallar
VBA Wayne Hersey
WMBA Bob Derrah